What does transpersonal mean?
It means that:
· I am open to exploring the nature of mind, consciousness, and spirit.
· I am open to exploring spiritual intelligence, and to encourage mediation as a way of developing body and spirit awareness.
· in exploring consciousness and states of consciousness I see it as a spectrum of experience, not a hierarchy to be labeled as good or bad.
· I am open to exploring human authenticity, and to look behind the mask.
· I am able to explore spiritual crisis and emergence
I see the mind as requiring a growth speed and process that is likely different to the body’s maturation process.
I think of transpersonal as a modern version of the shamanic.
What does shamanic mean?
The shaman is one who is able to split consciousness and to be in two worlds at once.
The shaman traditionally was the healer in early traditional cultures. They were in contact with the spirits of place, the cosmos, and the culture they were in. They made sense of the natural world for the tribe.
The shaman usually went through a spiritual ordeal sanctioned by the tribe, and called upon by the spirit world to be their speaker and conduit. This calling is held within ritual and ceremony. Very few have undergone such a ceremony in order to call themselves a shaman. For the rest who have not undergone such an initiation we are able to touch on the shamanic.
To work shamanically also overlaps with the transpersonal.